Thursday, February 22, 2007

The 'tie' that binds

When you're growing up, you desire your independence. You can't wait to break out on your own - do things your way. I remember those days when Mom was the last person I'd want to be talking with on the phone or going to a movie with. There were days growing up when I never thought I'd get there. Why was there such a rush?

I remember when I turned 10 and that was such a huge deal - everyone was exclaiming double digits with huge smiles on their faces. After that there were many milestones. Every year I'd be counting down the days for one birthday or another. ...when I'm 16... when I'm 17... and eventually the big hurrah....when I'm 18!

There's been a bit of years between then and now, and it's a whole different ballgame. Now it's me calling Mom to see if she can go for coffee, a movie or just to chat. The older I get the more I find that I need my mother. Sometimes when life gets tough she's the best person to call. No one listens quite like moms do. She doesn't try to fix all my problems, but she's always there to sit and listen whenever I need her.

Being a mother of a teenager I see a lot of myself in her. She's giving me the exact same indepence grief that I know I gave my mother. We butt heads a bit and I know that she still needs me even though she doesn't realize and I also know that in a few more years it's going to be Mom this and Mom that. I can hardly wait to become a friend to my daughter and enjoy that special relationship.

You see my mother always said to me 'I don't think that cord was ever cut'. She'd say this because she always seemed to have a sixth sense when one of us kids needed her even across the miles she'd know something was up.

This once again will come into play as tomorrow my mom heads off to another province and we'll have to rely on our 'tie' that binds to keep us connected across the miles. For when one of us needs the other we'll surely know and no matter how far away we ever get from each other nothing can cut those ties.

No comments:

Post a Comment