Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Books I would re-read!

Books I've truly enjoyed:

1. The Gresham Chronicle Series by Lawanna Blackwell - Book 1: The Widow of Larkspur Inn, Book 2: The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter and Book 3: The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark.

I enjoyed these books as it takes you back to such a more simple time. They are set in Victorian England and they take you back to a time when courtship had proper rules. In the first book we see a widow who is left with nothing when her husband dies - from this she takes her young children to the only piece of remaining property that is left - the Larkspur Inn. It's a joy to see how she tranforms herself from a young girl to a lady. This is the book that had me in love with the series. In this book you meet the other characters for the next two books in the series and it's a natural progression to see what happens in their lives. A true gem!

Next on my list is to read her Tales of London series.

2. Where the Heart is, by Billie Letts - I loved how Novalee's life is transformed in this novel. The story begins with her being abandoned in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart in Oklahoma, and it's not an easy road for Novalee - but in the end she does prosper.

3. Tara Road by Maeve Binchy - In this book Ria's life is about to be turned upside down. What she thought was a normal and great life turns bad quickly and she meets up with Marilyn and the two exchange homes for the summer. This is by far my favorite of Maeve Binchy's novels. In second place to this one would be Circle of Friends - This book tells the tale of two childhood friends from completely different backgrounds. Secrets and lies will eventually test their friendship.

4. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - The New York Times Book Review
This is beyond a doubt one of the most remarkable first novels produced by an American writer. It is also one of the best. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title. Not too much else I can add here, but this is one of my favorite books of all time. I may just have to pull it out this summer for another read.

5. The World According to Garp - John Irving - This book is definitely not a light read, there are some great reviews of it at the link provided. I read this book about 10 years ago and I couldn't put it down. Even when you wanted to turn away because of the harshness of some of it - I just couldn't. I think I should try readint his Cider House Rules.

6. To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee - This book is true literary art, if you haven't read it yet...it's a must!

And my final choice today:

7. The Book of Ruth - Jane Hamilton - This is definitely a thought provoking book and not a light read. For more information use the link. I had to be in a certain frame of mind to read it and when I was there I couldn't put it down, but at times it's indeed hard to read.

As you can see my taste in books is all over the mark, pretty much like the music I listen to. These are just a few that I could think of that really drew me in and became page turners.

3 comments:

  1. I'm unfamiliar with the Gresham Chronicle Series. Thanks for the tip, they sound fun. I've read 4,5,6 &7 and loved them all. If you did, too, then maybe I would like your taste, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good timing! I am in the midst of rereading all of maeve binchy's books and am in the middle of "Tara Road". Love that book! and I just found out on www.maevebinchy.com that there's a movie version of Tara Road and andie mcdowell plays Marilyn. The DVD is available in Ireland and the U.K. Not in the States yet.

    I don't want the book to end! but luckily, Quentins is waiting for me to read it!

    (just finished scarlett feather last week)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my blogger profile isn't working.

    here's my newer blog:

    www.sunnysblog.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete