Tuesday, May 22, 2007

May Long Weekend

This weekend was a long weekend for us Canadians as we celebrated our Victoria Long Weekend or as some refer to it as the May Long. Whatever you call it, it was great to be able to have an extra day off. Especially since I completely forgot it was coming up - how on earth I could do that is beyond me. Ok so life has been a bit more stressful as we have our hands fullwith a puppy who needs constant care(good news, one more week to go)!

We were invited to my sis-in-law's for a bbq on Sunday. They have one of those fire pits and my brother-in-law had a big 20lb bag of Kingsford Briquettes waiting to be lit on fire. I can't remember the last time I had a bbq with old fashioned briquette's. The burgers tasted just that much better as they were charbroiled over an open fire.

The day started out raining but turned into a nice calm sunny day and we enjoyed sitting out in the evening as the little and big kids toasted marshmallows. Our 3 yo niece was eating marshmallow after marshmallow and then she'd go and play in the sandbox with her ooooooey goooooooey sticky fingers! I'll bet at bathtime those little ones left a pound of sand behind in the tub. The sand was everywhere! Their oldest was sneakily putting sand in the baby's hair all the while looking to see if anyone would notice. Later she was nowhere to be seen as their middle child, the 3 yo was immediately thought to be the sand throwing offender.

Yesterday we decided that we too must have a bbq even though it was a chilly day! Off to the store to get the fixin's for our backyard feast. I selected a nice size bag of briquettes that would fit in our old propane bbq nicely. I picked up the bag of Kingsford briquette's and I was immediately transported back in time to being a kid again. Dad would pour the lighter fluid on the coals and soon we'd all be treated to a delicious bbq'ed steak or possibly hot dogs and hamburgers. A few jellied salads and some watermelon and we had a bbq'ed heaven.

I don't usually do the bbqing at our house. There was one incident a few many years back where I tried to light the bbq after the lid had been closed and the propane turned on. Yes, I'm not afraid to say it - I am terrified of these new fangled propane beasts. Give me some briquettes and an old dome topped bbq any day!

So I bbqed all snuggled up in my sweater and hoody as DH sat nearby giving me instructions. Yes, it has been that long!

The burgers turned out fine - definitely not undercooked and we had some lovely corn on the cob and some lovely homemade storebought salads. The kids of course had to roast a couple of marshmallows but the main dessert was a treat of Fudgsicle icecream. I was standing in the ice cream novelty aisle trying to pick out a flavor when I saw it. Maybe it was being transported back in time from the Kingsford briquette purchase but that Fudgsicle Icecream just called out 'buy me'!

It was a great weekend even though Mother Nature decided to cool things down for a bit!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun weekend! We do that July 4th around here...and it's pretty darn hot for standing over a bbq pit. Maybe the cooler weather is better, eh? Do y'all say "eh" at the end of your sentences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit we do say 'eh' a bit but not as much as you may think eh! LOL!

    I have your email from me at my home computer, I opened it up but didn't have time to reply - will do later.

    How did the story telling go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure where you are in Canada, but it was cool here in Edmonton too on monday. It 'looked' nice out, but it was a bit nippy. Glad your weather didn't stop you from firing up the barby though. There's nothing better than food off the bbq. Well. Unless I cook it. Then it's burnt and that's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete