Monday, June 04, 2007

Book Contest Fun - Check it Out

Pop by and visit Mommy of Three has a great contest going on right now, pop on by and visit. I'm a bit behind but I'll get started now. Let her know I sent you on over. Her first one is about a book called Gone with the Groom by Janice Thompson and her second one is for the book Bygones by Kim Vogel Sawyer is about a woman returning to her Mennonite Roots.

Romance: How I met my Husband - my love story!

Lessons Learned:

I made a decision 4 years ago to forgive my father for not being a part of my life growing up and then again breaking off communication when I was an adult. It was hard to do, I wrote it down on a piece of paper and left it in a prayer box that we had set up during Advent at our church. From the moment I dropped that slip of paper in the box, I felt a sense of relief. I didn't realize how much hanging on to the past and not letting go of it was affecting me and my relationship with my Dad.

Forgiving him allowed me to be open to him once again when he came back into my life. To this day we have a great relationship that we wouldn't have had until I forgave. Until I had forgiven him we couldn't have a real relationship.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! It's hard when our parents don't live up to our fantasy of what they should be like.

    Rejoicing that this relationship has a great ending. Forgiveness is a gift to self. So glad you found the answer to release the past.

    I never knew my father. I plan on writing him a letter and posting in on June 18 as part of my "Your Greatest Memory of Dad" contest. Though I have no living memory of my father I will share through my letter.

    Hope you can participate!

    Miscellaneous Matters

    ReplyDelete