Friday, June 22, 2007

Salad Anyone? What's your favorite Salad?

As you know we are hosting a family bbq next Saturday in honor of my DS's Grade 12 graduation. Not everyone can make it to the banquet so we thought a family bbq would be a great way to whoop it up.

I plan on making a nice Greek salad and I just got an interesting pasta salad recipe that calls for Kraft Dinner or all things. Apparently it's supposed to be quite good. My mom made it for some company at a bbq a few weeks back. I'll give it a go this weekend and have a taste test run. I think my mom used the shell K.D. with extra cheese. As usual, I am looking for more recipes. I thought I'd share the K.D. one with you and two of my personal favorites, enjoy!


Easy Pasta Salad(kids will love this)
2 boxes Kraft Dinner
1 med red pepper chopped
1 med green pepper chopped
chives or onions chopped
1 c chopped celery
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup mayo
4 hard boiled eggs
Cook Kraft dinner as usual. Mix in cheese & set aside
add together chopped peppers, celery. onions and chopped eggs. Then stir in
the mayo and sprinkle with paprika. I sed 1 extra egg to slice
and set on top with paprika'

One of my favorite summer salads(all amounts are approximate, as I just throw stuff in as I go). Use as much of each as you prefer.

1 head romaine lettuce
1 bunch red or green leaf lettuce
1/2 iceberg lettuce
1 cup craisins or raisins
1 cup chopped pecans or sunflower seeds
2 carrots shredded
3 stalks celery
1 apple, peeled and chopped
Cheddar cheese cubed
Kraft Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing

Mix ingredients together and top with creamy poppy seed dressing!



Broccoli Salad
1 - 2 heads broccoli
1 red onion sliced
1 cup chopped pecans or sunflower seeds
Bacon(if you like)

Dressing:(I usually make this to taste, I never measure so I hope these amounts are accurate. I usually put enough mayo into a bowl and start adding bits of sugar and vinegar until it tastes just right)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Fry bacon until crisp, crumble into pieces, set aside.

Chop broccoli florets into bit sized pieces, add chopped red onion and nuts.

Mix ingredients for dressing and set aside.

Before serving mix the dressing into the broccoli, top with crumbled pieces of bacon.
What is your favorite salad? I'm looking for some good salad recipes for the summer. I'm trying to watch what I eat and I love a delicious salad. If you want to share a salad recipe, please leave a comment so I can come and check it out! Does anyone have a recipe for a rice salad, using a vinagrette dressing and frozen vegetables? I've tried this years back and haven't been able to find a recipe for it since.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try the Kraft Creamy Poppy Seed dressing for awhile and haven't been brave enough. Just might have to pick up a bottle. I'll have to look through my books to see what salads I haven't made in awhile. I have a new recipe for a potatoe salad I've been dying to try. Might have to get on that :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of salads that I always make for events. I will post them on my blog soon (it is too late for your thing this weekend), when I have a little time, and I will come back and let you know they are there. They are my own made up recipes, so not really precise on measuring, but I will do the best I can with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM sounds yummy! I like to make a salad with romaine hearts, red onion slices, chopped chicken, celery, and mandarine oranges. Top it with poppy seed or honey mustard. Yes!

    Tell me how that first one turns out for you! We have a family picnic on the way.

    ReplyDelete