Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Things I love About Summer


It's official - Summer is finally here. The long months of winter and shoveling heaps of snow are long gone. I can almost barely remember driving to work when the tires would have been better if I'd replaced them with some ice skates.

I never used to be a big summer person - I know how odd! Over the years I've come to appreciate a good summer filled with all that summer should be. Here are 13 things I LOVE about summer!

1. Being able to ride my bike. I love my sweet ride! Today me and DH rode our bikes to work and I feel so darn energized it's not even funny. If you enjoy bike riding this is the bike to have. It's even very cozy for my derriere..lol!

2. Road Trip - Oh yeah! I love to pack up the car with some road snacks and head off to the wide open road and feel the wind rippling through my hair - oh wait I have AC. It's a fun summer past time. Whether it's just off to the beach for the day or a longer day trip, it's great fun all around.
3. Gardening in the yard. I've had such fun planting trees in our back yard and I've been lucky enough to have perennials graciously given to me. So I've been in the yard puttering. My latest venture has been container gardening. It's a great idea especially if you live in an apartment or if you don't want to dig up your yard. We bought these huge Rubbermaid containers and we've got peas, carrots, beets, green onions, cucumbers, squash, radishes and lettuce planted. I'm just like a little kid - every day I have to go and see how it's coming and what is coming up. Of course the radishes had to be the first ones up.

4. Family barbeques. I love to open up the backyard for a bbq. We break out the croquet or Bocce and pull up lawn chairs and enjoy the great outdoors while we all sip on a nice cool beverage. We get to have a family bbq next Saturday in honor of my DS's grade 12 grad. I'm looking forward to all the visiting.

5. Reading outside. I don't know why, but I love to read outside. It's so nice to curl up on the lounger with a nice book and a cup of hot tea or some cool iced tea. That's the perfect lazy summer day.

6. Listening to a nice summer storm. I love to watch the lightning and listen to the thunder as the rain pounds down. As long as I know there is no threat of a tornado I can enjoy a nice summer storm. I'll even settle for a nice rainy day - rain falls are so peaceful to listen to.

7. Garden Market! It's so great to visit the local garden markets and buy the fresh veggies as soon as they're ready for eating. Nothing tastes as good as vegetables right from the garden. I sure hope mine turn out this year.

8. You Scream I Scream - we all Scream for, yep Ice Cream! There is nothing like a cold ice cream cold on a hot sunny day! I'm trying to be a good girl, but today the temp is getting up to about 28C so that's pretty darn hot! I may have to cool off with a nice cone.

Speaking of Ice Cream scroll down after if you'd like a recipe I just got for an easy ice cream cake. I've been assured it's good although I haven't tried it yet myself. If you make it you'll have to let me know how you like it. It looks so easy, I'm sure I'll try it.

9. Late Nights. In the summer time I turn into a night owl. I love to stay up as late as possible, and I savor all the time I have. It's so nice when it's not dark when I leave for work and when I come home again. I wonder what it would be like in the land of the Midnight Sun. My mom once lived in Iqaluit which is close to Greenland and she had summers with all light - it only ever got to dusk. Now she is not a night time person at all - but I think when she lived there she managed to stay up past 8p.m.

10. Sandals and shorts. I love to wear sandals, I hate wearing shoes with my feet confined. My toes like a little wiggle room - and if they had their way they'd be barefoot. I also love to wear shorts and summer dresses. I wear shorts all year round. Well, in the house anyways. Crank up the heat, mom is in a shorts mood!

11. Afternoons at the beach. I love to sit in the sand and watch the kids play in the water. I'll put my aqua socks on and give it a go as long as the lake isn't freezing cold. I love to float around in the lake and just relax. Pack up a big picnic lunch and you have another perfect summer day!

12. No schedules! I like the kids being in school as there is less fighting to deal with, but I really love summer in that you don't have to have the kids organized for school each morning. Our house gets crazy hectic with screams of 'Where's my jeans with the sparkles on the back' or 'There is no lunch meat'. I am very unorganized at home and it drives me nuts. As soon as summer arrives I relish in the freedom I get from having to remember to buy lunch meat or wash that 'certain' pair of pants for the right day.

13. My main reason for loving summer so much is that my DH is home all the evenings. During the year he's out a lot at night and on the weekends too. So summer means 'us' time! We stay up late and watch t.v. even though we have work in the a.m., just so that we can truly savour all of our time together. I used to be a huge fan of winter - and I still am to some point. I am a big Christmas Nutter and that will never change. Still for quality family/home life/and marital bliss the summer is the best all around.

Oreo & Fudge Ice Cream Cake
Prep: 10 min Total: 4 hours 10 min(incl freezing)

1/2 cup fudge sundae topping warmed
2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping(divided)
1 pkg(4 serving size) Jell-O Chocolate Instant pudding
8 Oreo Cookies
12 Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches

Pour the fudge topping into a medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup of the whipped topping with a wire whisk until it's well blended. Add in the dry pudding mix; stir 2 min. or until well blended. The consistency of fudge topping can vary depending on what brand you use. If your fudge topping is too thick to spread easily then stir in 1/4 cup milk.

Chop the Oreo cookies roughly into chunks. They don't have to be the same size. Add them to the mixture.

Arrange 4 of the ice cream sandwiches, side by side, on a 23 x 12 inch piece of foil; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat the layers.

Top the pudding mixture with the remaining 4 ice cream sandwiches. The layers create a nice striped effect when slicing.

Frost the tops and sides with the remaining 1 cup whipped topping. It doesn't have to look perfect.

Bring up the foil sides. Double fold top & ends to loosely seal the packet. Freeze at least 4 hours before serving. Let stand at room temperature to soften slightly before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer.

Makes 12 servings

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


19 comments:

  1. Wow, that recipe sounds amazing - and absolutely astronomically fattening! My TT is posted too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great reasons to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a similar recipe... good stuff, that!

    Summer is incredible, you're right. And good for you for riding your bike to work!!! When the Tour Manager lived closer to his office, he'd ride every now and then. Unfortunately, his office was up a HUGE hill, and since it was at the end of the ride, it was a bit of a deterrent...

    Happy TT and keep biking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tea, except for the bike, these would be all my reasons for loving summer. Now if only I could wear shorts to work.

    I copied the recipe to my file and it looks easy and tasty for a party.
    Heres to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list!!! Ice cream...whoo hoo. :)

    Storms...I dunno 'bout that one. Here in Arkansas we tend to get those surprise storms with big ole funnels in the middle that like to suck up your house! I'm a little gun shy of storms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that ice cream cake sounds so good! How could you do that to a pregnant woman... Ugh!

    My twins came up with 13 ways to stay cool... Come by and check out our TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love reading outside in the summer too, and so many of the other things on your list - especially ice cream! That cake sounds really good - gonna have to copy that recipe down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ice Cream Cake recipe, I got to try this out!

    I am from Malaysia, 365 days in a year are summer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. We get thunderstorms almost every day. It drove me crazy when I first moved here, but then I realized they only stayed for a few moments, and the lightening was awesome. As long as I'm not out in it, that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you to 100% ! I love summer too and the long days. The only hic here in Belgium is that the weather is so unstable, we may have 2 days of sunshine and warm weather up to 25° normally and the day after 16° with a lot of rain. So you never know if you can sit in your garden or go to the sea. That's a pity !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, yeah! Those are definitely some of the best things about summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh yes....summer is a fabulous season!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MMMmmm that recipe sounds devine! Summer is a great season for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love #6 but hate humidity...yum, that ice cream treat sounds awesome!!Great list...Happy TT..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of those reasons! Great list and that recipes sounds fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband bike commutes every day, he loves it.

    I'm loving that it's sundress and sandals season, and that here in Israel that season is a good 6+ months long!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love love summer! Hotter the better! I love your list as well!
    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that's a great list, Tea. I agree with you one hundred percent. I'm going to have to print that recipe. It sounds fattening! I thought there was a diet going on around here!

    ReplyDelete