Friday, July 06, 2007

Absence does make the heart grow fonder...

Well it's been 5 days now and I am missing my DD like
C R A Z Y!!!! After my DS's graduation she headed back with my mom to visit with her in Edmonton for a couple of weeks. I was so anxious for her to go - we butt heads and fight so darn regularly! Now that she's gone I'm missing her so much. She's my little 'chatty Cathy'! The house is so awfully quiet without her.

Thankfully my mom has unlimited calling so DD can call me anytime of the day and she's attached herself to Gramma's computer and she uses MSN to do chats with me using a webcam so I can even see her. Technology is great isn't it?

So the house is quiet as our DS works and I can almost see what it's going to be like in a few more years when they've both grown up and moved out. It's an odd feeling!

I wonder if it gets better. Monday night I was crying so much about missing my DD and not just that, but the knowing that soon my DS would be going out on his own. It's been a tough month as it all came to an head. Previously I had been concerned about what my DS would do. It didn't seem at first like he could decide and now he's thinking Navy!!!!

I don't know, but I may need some Valium to get through this.....lol! You see it's not just DD being away for two weeks that is causing me the stress, it's knowing that I'm about to have a grown man for a son. A grown man who will most likely be leaving home in a few months. Somehow I am just not prepared for it. I think I've been living in denial for some time and I've come crashing head on into reality. I don't know, but I think I may already be feeling the beginnings of the 'empty nest' syndrom....argh!

I do know that I must take the time to treasure all of our family moments together. This summer there will be camping trips galore, some with just the DH and DS and others as a whole family as well as a family vacation to Edmonton. I think we'll paint the town red, for I don't know when we'll have the occasion to do so again and when we do the dynamics will be completely different.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Tea, I am feeling for you and if we were closer, we could hang out, crochet, drink tea and commiserate. But just remember what you were doing at his age and it's a credit to you that he is working and thinking about his future.

    I always miss my kids when they go away and what would we do without the internet? Betcha your daughter is getting spoiled!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie. I'm just coming up for air on vacation at a local wifi spot, and saw this. I hope you're doing OK. You'll be together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a difficult place to be. I still have that to look toward with my oldest at 16. I agree with you that you need to cherish the time this summer, and I suspect you have done that all along. I'll watch for red in Edmonton, and know you were around. Hope you come together soon. Keep a stiff upper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what to say. I feel so bad for you. It must be rough. I hate even thinking about it and I have at least 12 years before my oldest may leave home. Poor you. I hope your son doesn't go too far from home.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing that when the kids are home they won't say a word, but when they go for a visit they will chat like crazy? Maybe when she is home you should talk to her through the computer?
    When the first child goes out into the world, it's difficult, Tea. But, our kids are like kites. In order for them to soar, we have to give them some string (but that string still connects us to them!). Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete