Friday, July 13, 2007

Back on Blossom Street - a great read!

I was so excited yesterday - I got an email notification that the book I had requested was in. Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. I just started it last night after supper and I'm already into chapter 7. This will be my companion on our weekend camping trip - what a perfect surprise!

The wait was definitely worth it, the story has pulled me in and the first few chapters refreshed my memory of the characters. I love that Debbie ties knitting into the book. In the first part of the book there are a couple of patterns for prayer shawls. I've been really interested in making a prayer shawl for sometime. This may just be the kick in the pants I need to get going.

The story pulls you in from the beginning - if you are familiar with the characters or if you've just picked this book up for the first time, it's a definite page turner. I would recommend that if you haven't read the other books, that it would be great to read them in order.



The series starts with The Shop on Blossom Street, where we first meet Lydia. She is a cancer survivor who is just beginning to get her life back on track. The opening of the yarn shoppe 'A Good Yarn' is her first step. I love how this book brings these 4 very different women together.




A Good Yarn is the next book in this series - a sequel that allows us to learn more about Lydia and her relationship with her sister. As well we are introduced to three new characters who have signed up for a knitting class. Now we're Back on Blossom Street, we will be introduced to more characters as the next knitting class is about to begin. They will be knitting prayer shawls. I can't wait to find out more about each of them, and to catch up with all the other characters and see what is new. This book to me is like catching up with an old friend.

3 comments:

  1. The series sounds interesting. I have not heard of them, but honestly, I don't read a lot of books. When we go to the lake, I like to buy a new magazine usually a home decorating or gardening type and browse through it. We are planning to go tomorrow so I will be looking for one this afternoon. Have a good camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love these books and I can not wait to read it..Will have to wait until michael gets a job again. This series has made me want to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time on your camping trip and enjoy the book. The characters seem like old friends you haven’t visited in a while. Enjoy!

    Miscellaneous Matters
    Growing with Julia
    Having It All

    ReplyDelete