Friday, July 20, 2007

Meet The Turnblad's

That's what my DD and I did last night. She managed to win tickets to a preview of the movie HairSpray.
I was feeling a little tired and cranky and I thought do I really want to see a movie. I had no idea what the movie would even be about. I was expecting to see a 'hot' John Travolta and instead he was transformed into the plus sized Edna Turnblad.
This movie had me smiling from beginning to end and singing along! The premise of the movie is that Tracy Turnblad wants to dance on a local t.v. show. Travel back in time to the 60's, where the kids have dancing fever. Everyone is creating their own 'moves'.
Niki Blonsky gives a stellar performance as Tracy Turnblad. She explodes on the screen with tons of energy and her never ending 'smile', which is so infectious.
This movie managed to tackle some big discrimination and integration issues, all while maintaining the fun and upbeat atmosphere of the 60's!
I definitely recommend seeing this movie!!

6 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing it! I saw it performed on Broadway a few years ago and it was a riot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I haven't seen this ever. Of course I've never seen Grease either. A real hole in my American upbringing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know the feeling. Glad you pushed yourself to go out. Sometimes it just takes someone to ask. To be honest I hadn't heard about this movie. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you went even though you did not feel like it initially---and came away enjoying the movie.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this movie---I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard such great reviews on this movie and now I'm reading another one from you. I'll have to make a point of seeing it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! We were thinking about going to see that next week. My husband is on vacation. I wasn't sure I would want to see it, but I'm going to take your recommendation. Thanks, Tea.

    ReplyDelete