Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mmmmmmmm Cherry Cheesecake

Update:
I didn't realize that Dream Whip was a Canadian thing..oops! Dream Whip is a powder that you mix with milk to make whipped topping. I don't know if there is a similar product in the U.S. or not. If not the yield for one pkg. of Dream Whip is 2 cups. You could use cool whip or as has been suggested whipped cream.

When I made this recipe today I went with another tip from Shelly who had suggested using chocolate crumbs for the crust. I bought two Keebler chocolate crusts and I've got my pies chilling in the fridge. I'll post a picture later of how they look with the chocolate crust.

After writing this out yesterday I had to run out and get the ingredients to make it. I did use the low fat cream cheese by Philidephia(the brick ones) and for the whipped topping, I used skim milk as that is all DH wants to buy now...lol! The Dream Whip alone tasted kind of blah, but once it was all mixed into the cream cheese it tasted excellent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was visiting my good friend Shelly at This Eclectic Life and she wrote a great post about cherries. She had asked for cherry recipes and I thought I'd share this with you all.

You may have heard of it but if not it's a great easy dessert to make and it won't make the house hot - now that's a plus this time of year.

No Bake Cherry Cheesecake:

2 pkgs. cream cheese 80z bricks...Philidelphia or whatever brand you prefer(you may use light to reduce calories)

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

4 tbsp. white sugar

2 pkg. dream whip(you could also use light cool whip). The dream whip yields 2 cups per package.

1 cup sugar

2 cans cherry pie filling

1/2 cup melted butter.

I make this using a 9 x 13 pyrex cake pan.

Crust:(or buy the prepared crusts in regular or chocolate, you would need two crusts for this recipe unless you cut the recipe in half). This cuts the work drastically!

Mix crumbs, sugar and melted butter together. Pat gently into cake bottom.
CheeseCake Mixture:

Prepare dream whip according to instructions(set aside).

Whip cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar until smooth. Mix in dream whip until well mixed with the cream cheese.

Spread mixture over crust and refrigerate. Chill at least 3 hours.

Spread cherry pie filling over entire cake, or serve cherries as you dish up each portion.

I gurantee this is a delicious dessert - my mother-in-law gave me this recipe years ago and we make it all the time, its a family favorite.

10 comments:

  1. OMG! Forget the diet! I forgot it anyway. Teamouse that looks like a delicious recipe! Thank you for posting that. I'm going to try that next week. Can't you get chocolate flavored graham crackers? Oh, and have you ever tried those little chocolate tart cups? I can't remember where I found them. For individual desserts that might be fun. Somehow I need to get some chocolate into this...You say you can use Cool Whip. Is Dream Whip better? I don't know the difference.
    Oh, and the cherry ice cream...to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had this in the little individual cheesecakes with the vanilla wafers. I should make that sometime for my family.

    I think that Dream whip is a Canadian thing, since this is what my mom uses for her strawberry cakes and I can't find it here. Tenderflake ( lard) is also a Canadian product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have another product that is similar to dream whip? Otherwise I think you can substitue cool whip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great. I am always looking for no backe desserts for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great recipe and photo. I think you could use any product that is a substitute for whipped cream, in fact you could use whipped cream.
    Dream whip is a powder that you add milk to and whip up to use as a topping, so other countries may have something like that with a different name. I use Dream whip (made with less milk) for cake decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hungry now --Pass a piece of Cherry cheesecake please.

    Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will be trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMMmmmm indeed! Looks great. I'm writing out a copy of this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was my favorite thing when i was a kid, only my mom always made it with strawberries. in recent years, she started making it with canned peaches. both are delicious!
    and, for the record, dream whip isn't an exclusively candian thing. we had it in ohio (where i grew up) and i'm pretty sure i've seen it here in new york as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:22 pm GMT-6

    I'm in Winnipeg, and this is a favorite very old recipe my 5 kids all loved when they came home from school on Fridays and saw it in the fridge, my daughter is having her 39th b'day this Sept. 11 and this will be her cake (she just loves it)...I couldn't find my recipe so thank you for posting it, you saved my day:)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete