Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Brain Teasers


See how many of these you can get right. I'll post the answers in the afternoon on Thursday - check back to see how many you got right!
Don't let your brain shrink like Homer's use it or lose it.

***As promised the answers are now here, scroll to the bottom for them and see how many you answered correctly.***


1. There is a town in Northern Ontario where 5% of all the people living in the town have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town's phone directory, on average how many of these people selected would have unlisted phone numbers?

2. Charlie Chromedome went for a walk without an umbrella. He did not wear a hat and he did not take refuge under a shelter; yet not one hair on his head got wet. How is this possible?

3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on earth?

4. Clem Walton, a wealthy hermit, lives alone in a small cottage bordering the twon of Proton. Being partially handicapped Clem had everything delivered to his home. The mailman was delivering his war veteran's cheque one Thursday when he noticed that the front door was ajar. Through the opening he could see Clem's body lying in a pool of dried blood. When Shadow arrived he surveyed the scene. On the porch were two bottles of warm milk, a Monday's newspaper, a local hardware store catalogue, charity flyers and unopened mail. The autopsy confirmed Clem had been dead for several days. Who does Shadow suspect of foul play and why?

5. How would you arrange the letters in the words new door to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer.

6. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a Penguin's egg. Why not?

7. Often talked of, never seen,
Ever coming, never been,
Daily looked for, never here,
Still approaching, coming near.
Thousands for it's visit wait
But alas for their fait,
Tho' they expect me to appear,
They will never find me here.

What is the poem about?

8. Mr. and Mrs. Plum have six daughters and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the Plum family?

9. What are the next two letters in the following series?

A E F H I K L M.....

10. What occurs once in every minute, twice in every moment, yet never in a thousand years?

11. A man and his son were rock climbing on a particularly dangerous mountain when they slipped and fell. The man was killed, but the sone lived and was rushed to the hospital. The old surgeon took one look at the young man and said, "I can't operate on this boy: he is my son."

How could this be?

12. Which one of these would see most clearly in total darkness? A leopard, a bat or an owl?

13. How many each species did Moses take onto the ark with him?

Answer Key:

1. The answer of course is zero. You will not find unlisted numbers in a phone directory.

2. It wasn't raining.

3. Mount Everest.

4. Shadow suspects the newspaper delivery person. The absence of Tuesday's and Wednesday's newspaper indicates that the delivery person knew there was no one there to read it.

5. The letters should be arranged as follows: one word.

6. There aren't any penguins in the Arctic. They are native only to the Southern Hemisphere.

7. The poem is talking about tomorrow.

8. There are nine Plums in the family. Since each daughter shares the same brother, there are six girls, one boy and Mr. & Mrs. Plum.

9. The next two letters are N and T. These are the next two letters in the alphabet composed only of straight lines.

10. The letter M.

11. The old surgeon is the boy's mother.

12. None. In total darkness it's impossible to see anything.

13. None, it was Noah's ark.

Leave a comment and I'll pop by and visit your TT.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know the answer to 8, possible 9~ great idea for a T13! Can't wait for the answer!

    Air Force Wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm!! Happy TT...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know 1, 2 has 2 answers, i know 3, 6, 8 and 12, i think i might have an idea for 11, and i think i know 13, but it seems too obvious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am too stupid for this post---but I am going to email it to someone who is not and who will tell me how to work out the answers! Great idea for a T13...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, we knew quite a few of them, can't wait to check back tomorrow for the answers.

    Loved the flip flops you did, wasn't that easy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the brain exercise. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love brain teasers! The one that I know for sure is #11. It was featured in an early episode of "All In the Family".

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW---what a brain teaser---I have never been good at them.
    I'll be back to see the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I think I know all but about two of these! Can't wait to see if I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I know the answers to most of these. Some of them are hard. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, very funny ! The guy without ombrella was bald and there are nine people in the Plum family! Six daughters, one son + the parents ! Geez I am proud of myself !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good theme for TT. Unfortunately my brain doesn't start working for another hour yet :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sending this to my brother -- he loves these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. boy did I fail that quiz. lol. It was fun though.I'm emialing this to my dad, he is a quiz nut. Happy TTing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyable! I am stumped by two of them at this point and look forward to the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my brain hurts...I thought I knew 2 and I was wrong...Great list! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hee hee, very amusing. Great idea, too, though it's too close to Friday for my brain to be working properly for these.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I was in Austin, yesterday and missed trying to get to answer before the answers were up. I did guess several right though! This is a wonderful post, Tea! I love brain teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea for a TT. I did pretty good, which is probably why I thought it was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete