Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ye Ol' Tea Shoppe


'Ye Ol' Tea Shoppe'

While reading the book 'Back on Blossom Street' by Debbie Macomber I can't get the image of my 'Tea Shoppe' out of my mind. You see, I have this dream and for me it's a big dream - the kind of dream that you get when you win the lottery kind of dream. Still, I dream about it nonetheless, why not...it doesn't hurt to have dreams, does it? I've had this dream for the last 10 years, maybe one day it will become a reality!

I want to open a 'tea shoppe'. This would be a different kind of place, a place where fine china and linens would be set upon little round tables. The building would have to be a lovely 1900's Victorian style home that is converted. The restaurant would take up the main floor and the second floor. The main floor would have a wide open area with a fireplace(for those chilly winter evenings). Round tables would be set up - not too close as to be confining. Victorian style tablecloths and linens would decorate the round tables. Fresh flowers to decorate the Fireplace mantle and the tables. Lovely chairs decorated with lovely slip covers, nice and comfy so you don't mind sitting for awhile.

Upstairs would be a couple of smaller rooms with a few tables, each with their own unique decor. If you continue up to the third floor, this will be a special 'gift shoppe' room. Here you'll find treasures of handmade crafts from local crafters. There will be knitted slippers, homemade jams, finely carved trinket boxes and oh the possibilities.

You may wonder what you'd find to eat at such a fine 'tea shoppe'. That's a good question. I'm sure you'll pop in after hearing of our famous cinnamon buns or our homemade lemon meringue pie. Whatever you're craving, we'll have the finest baked goods for miles around. Not to mention that our tea will be fresh brewed in the pot...none of this standing 'hot water' they serve at restaurants. Our menu would contain more 'simple' food items. Whatever they come in for, everything would be fresh and made from scratch with only the finest ingredients.
I want to have a shoppe that instantly transports you back to a simpler time. All of the decor will be Victorian, from the wallpapers to the pictures hanging on the wall. Even the cash register will be an antique - it will all give you that feel that you have stepped back in time. A time when life was simple and manners were of the utmost importance.

The goal would be to create a place where everyone would feel welcome to come and sit and enjoy visiting with friends and family over some fine pastries, superb tea or coffees. For larger gatherings, the upstairs rooms could be reserved. These rooms could be reserved out for birthday parties, anniversaries or small family gatherings. This would make the event that much more private - you'd feel like you were in your own Victorian home!

So alas this is one of my dreams - I do dream big when I dream. I would love to have something like this to go to everyday. It would be great to have it open for Brunch on Sundays and during the week open from the afternoon on for those special 'tea time' gatherings as well as lunch and dinner. I don't know if my city has a great location for such a restaurant - perhaps in the Cathedral area would suit it best. This area of town is filled with delightful homes from the early 1900's. Many have been converted already for restaurants and other businesses. So what dreams keep you going?

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty much one of my dreams too. I think I mentioned it before in a comment. I have a cookbook "Victorian Tea House Recipes" by Barbara Harding and Dianne Parker (I think they are from St. Albert). It was published by Sisterly Love Publication Ltd, Edmonton in 1996. I just noticed, they were to have a new one in 1998 called "Seasons" (now I'll be looking for that one). I love the design and the photos in the book. The recipes are great too. The Plum Chicken was the one they were talking about on the radio a number of years ago, that enticed me to search for the book. I highly recommend you check it out when you are in the area, or you might get it in to your local bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a marvelous dream...and one you have obviously planned to perfection. When, not if you have that tea shop, I'll drive from Texas to visit it. If, not when I win the lottery, I'll set you up.

    Me? I keep hoping that one day I can write and be paid to do so. That's all I need.

    Wonderful dream, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete