Friday, August 03, 2007

Makeing A Change....One Square At a Time!



I'm am trying to help my good friend Shelly from This Eclectic Life. Shelly got this Texas sized idea of crocheting afghans for kids with cancer. It's a great idea and it's for a wonderful cause. She can't do it alone or with the very dedicated 18 people who have already so generously crocheted squares and sent them to her. To date Shelly has been able to assemble these squares from all over the U.S. and a couple other countries into 3 afghans!!! That means 3 children already have afghans to snuggle up with and they will feel the love that went into each and every one of them.

I have the utmost faith that this project will be a huge success - won't you help be a part of it. If you crochet you probably have odds and ends of yarn to use up - what better way than to transform it into a gift for a child, a child who has cancer and could really use all the extra prayers and comfort. It really only takes a bit of time to make a few squares and a small amount of money to mail them off to Shelly.

As I was thinking of what to write on this post I recalled an article I had read in my local paper about Hilary Duff. I really liked her outlook on volunteer/charity work. Hilary Duff who was in Edmonton recently for a concert took some time to help serve food at a shelter. She had this to say about works of charity: "A big misconception of charity work and celebrities is that it takes a lot of money,” she said. “It doesn’t take a lot of money. Your time is the best thing you can give.” How true is that. She had also asked her concert goers to bring non-perishable food items for the needy of Edmonton.

Although Hilary Duff could simply write a cheque and be done with her 'charity' work, she understands the importance of giving of her time and by doing so she is an excellent role model for her young fans. She is teaching them that everyone should volunteer of their time in some way.

Shelly is asking all of us who do crochet and send her squares to ask our friends, neighbors, daughters and even our mother-in-law's. I realized that I haven't asked my own teenage daughter - what better way to help show her how to be charitable than to get her involved in a project like this.

If you crochet would you consider helping with this project? Could you spare a square? If you don't crochet but know people who do, why not mention this project to them, or help to advertise by placing a link to the project on your blog. You can get all of the information from buttons to why the project began and what the goal is by visiting Shelly's Update Page.

Here is a couple of pictures of my current progress for the project.


11 Finished Squares

33 Unfinished - these need the ends weaved in.

To see read more posts that I've done for Love To Share click on the Lable 'love to share' at the bottom of the post. Here you'll see any progress pics and information on why I've decided to volunteer my time for the project.

P.S.
If you are participating in this project, by either using a button on your blog to advertise or by crocheting squares email me at mrs_tea_mouse at hotmail dot com and I will put you in my Love to Share Blogroll!

3 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful way to contribute. I crocheted when I was a teen, but never made squares, and honestly, I don't really remember much about it. There are so many ways to volunteer time and effort, and I think Shelly's project is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have the button you made on my site. I mentioned this project to my MIL and she is one of the people in Kingston, OK that met with Shelly yesterday. They had a lovely visit, and she and her neighbor are going to help put the afghans together. I don't know how to crochet, so I can't make squares, but I was glad I could introduce some ladies that can!

    Oh, and I FINALLY got to the post office yesterday and got your book mailed. Sorry for the delay, but it is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful Tea! You are making some very interesting ones. I can't wait to see them in an afghan! Hope you enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete