Saturday, September 22, 2007

Projects Galore

Well every year I say it to myself (don't take on too many projects) and every year I feel compelled to take them on anyway. Last year I knit my nieces each a poncho and one of my nephews a sweater for Christmas. Of course I started in August just to make sure I'd get everything done. Thankfully I did - even though there were times when I thought I'd be knitting on Christmas Eve....lol!

This year I've decided to knit for some of the adults in our family - my mom is getting the Irish Hiking Scarf in Candy Apple red - she is a Red Hat and one of her favorite colours is red. For my mother-in-law I am knitting a lovely ripple shawl in a nice sport weight yarn. It's absolutely beautiful but it will take me some time to finish as it's on 4mm needles. I'll be posting pics for my Wordless Wednesday and you can see what they're like.

I don't want to leave the men out so I'm going to knit a scarf for my Father-in-law and my Mom's husband - I haven't decided if I should do Irish Hiking Scarf(is it masculine enough) or just a nice simple seed stitch. I am making them to be more of a gentlemen scarf so it will fit nicely under their winter coats to keep their necks warm.

I'm hoping I can get them all done by Christmas - please oh please! This being said I don't think I can start another project yet and I had thought of a Christmas dish cloth give-a-way. I'm thinking of instead going with a dish cloth a month for a year contest - what do you think? This would mean I would mail one lucky person one cloth a month for a year starting in December. I'd love to make more but I'm running out of time to knit.

Even though my new mantra is 'I'd Rather Be Knitting', I still can't find all the time I need to keep up with the ideas that pop into my mind.

Oh, did I mention I am still finishing my son's afghan - which is also for Christmas? It's in crochet in a ripple, but lately when I crochet my wrist hurts - so knitting is getting more of my attention.

4 comments:

  1. My son wants me to crochet him an afghan. I'm stuck on granny square pattern. I've made a baby blanket and I'm on my second. One big granny square, with a border. Can you suggest and easy pattern for a large afgahan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the men's scarf in last minute knitted gifts for Tattoo Boyfriend's dad last year. It is a great pattern - I wish I could remember the name of it. It is in my ravelry projects - it took almost no time at all - I knit it while I was at the parents and the dad was in the hospital. Less than a week I was there that time and it was done.

    Good luck.

    As for the rest of christmas knitting, I will knit for Tattoo Boyfriend and maybe a couple others, but no family knitting this year. Well, maybe for the niece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sooo wish I could visit my gma so she can teach me.. how wonderful to hvae this talent

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a lot of projects, and I would be overwhelmed by them, but as I said in my post yesterday, each person does the things that they can, and it isn't overwhelming if that is what you can do. It is a great job you are doing with the knitting, and the dishcloth a month thing sounds like a good idea to spread things out.

    ReplyDelete