1. The best snow to make snowmen out of is slightly wet snow so you need a mild day to do it otherwise the snow is dry and it will not form a ball. On a really cold day the snow crunches under your boots. My sis misses this type of snow as she gets wet snow and it's not the same.
2. Snow can cause all sorts of mishaps from vehicle mishaps to power outages.
3. During a blizzard there is snow and windy conditions that can make the visibility drastically reduced. During a blizzard people will go home early from work, kids can get dismissed early - but in all my years there has never been school shut down for a blizzard - this typically happens in small towns where children rely on a school bus to take them to school.
4. My favorite 'snow memory' is of making a fort in my back yard. There was a ton of snow that year and the fort was just perfect, we even made benches to sit on and we sat and played in the fort.
5. Shoveling sucks! I didn't realize how much so until we bought our house. We have a huge drive way and a huge cement pad. I usually love snowfalls but last year I was so tired of it that I cringed when I saw the forecast. This year we caved in and bought a snowblower.....bring on the snow now Mother Nature!
6. Winter activities that you need snow for are outdoor ice skating, snow angels, snow ball fights, tobogganing, building a snowman, making a snow fort, skiing, snowboarding and of course snow mobiling. If you dress appropriately these activities are a lot of fun!
7. Hot Cocoa is the perfect drink after playing in the snow - try this recipe.
Or share one of your own with us.
8. In our province we've only had one month where there was no snow - can you guess which one it is?
9. Don't eat yellow snow!
10. The prettiest snowfall is the big fluffy flakes that fall straight down! It usually happens when it's not too cold outside and it's absolutely breathtaking.
11. After a few good snowfalls all the local stores will sell out of shovels and people have been known to steal shovels from peoples yards. Kids will come door to door, shovel in hand trying to make a few dollars by shoveling your walkway.
12. Snowy nights provide the perfect excuse to stay inside and snuggle up with a loved one while sipping a nice hot drink - very romantic!
13. As I sit writing about snow I'm reminded exactly how long I'll be staring at it. We got our first snowfall at the end of November and it will probably be here until the end of March. By that time I'll be tired of it and it will not be as pretty as it is now(all perfectly white) - it will be all brown and mixed with road salt and sand.