Monday, November 12, 2007

At Home Baking

Today is my in lieu holiday of Remembrance Day so I'm going to start on my Christmas baking. I'm making Whipped Shortbread and Magic Santa Cookie Bars(recipe below). I figured I'd get a head start on my baking this year and hopefully prevent the Christmas blues that I come down with when I feel like I'm rushed and running out of time.

Magic Santa Cookie Bars:

1 can (3oo ml) Sweetened Condensed Milk regular or low fat
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cups white or semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup mini marshmallows

1. Comgine graham wafer crumbs with butter, press evenly into a parchment lined 13 x 9 baking pan.

2. Pour 2/3 Condensed milk over crumbs.

3. Sprinkle with pecans, chips, cranberries, coconut and marshmallows; press down firmly. Pour remaining condensed milk over top.

4. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly and cut into bars. (store loosely at room temperature.) Makes 24 bars.

If you have a favorite (must-have) cookie recipe that the family absolutely must have each year and you'd like to share it, please leave a comment or post about it and let me know.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Not my recipe, but yummy and good for both Thanksgiving and/or Christmas!

    Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle (Recipe courtesy Paula Deen)

    Prep Time: 30 minutes / Inactive Prep Time: 9 hours
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: 20 servings

    2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
    1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
    1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
    1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

    Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
    Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool.
    Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding.
    Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl.
    Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping.
    Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping.
    Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29116,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love whipped shortbread, but I have never made it. My mother in law makes it though, so I indulge in her baking. I like the looks of the Bars and I think I will give them a go. I also like the one Cassie shared. I have made apple spice trifle using a spice cake mix, then apple pie filling with apple pie spice and a touch of rum, butterscotch pudding and whipped topping.

    ReplyDelete