Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #32 All About Snow

Now that we have our first real snowfall that isn't going away I thought I'd write a post all about snow and what I like and dislike about it.

1. The best snow to make snowmen out of is slightly wet snow so you need a mild day to do it otherwise the snow is dry and it will not form a ball. On a really cold day the snow crunches under your boots. My sis misses this type of snow as she gets wet snow and it's not the same.

2. Snow can cause all sorts of mishaps from vehicle mishaps to power outages.

3. During a blizzard there is snow and windy conditions that can make the visibility drastically reduced. During a blizzard people will go home early from work, kids can get dismissed early - but in all my years there has never been school shut down for a blizzard - this typically happens in small towns where children rely on a school bus to take them to school.

4. My favorite 'snow memory' is of making a fort in my back yard. There was a ton of snow that year and the fort was just perfect, we even made benches to sit on and we sat and played in the fort.

5. Shoveling sucks! I didn't realize how much so until we bought our house. We have a huge drive way and a huge cement pad. I usually love snowfalls but last year I was so tired of it that I cringed when I saw the forecast. This year we caved in and bought a snowblower.....bring on the snow now Mother Nature!

6. Winter activities that you need snow for are outdoor ice skating, snow angels, snow ball fights, tobogganing, building a snowman, making a snow fort, skiing, snowboarding and of course snow mobiling. If you dress appropriately these activities are a lot of fun!

7. Hot Cocoa is the perfect drink after playing in the snow - try this recipe.
Or share one of your own with us.

8. In our province we've only had one month where there was no snow - can you guess which one it is?

9. Don't eat yellow snow!

10. The prettiest snowfall is the big fluffy flakes that fall straight down! It usually happens when it's not too cold outside and it's absolutely breathtaking.

11. After a few good snowfalls all the local stores will sell out of shovels and people have been known to steal shovels from peoples yards. Kids will come door to door, shovel in hand trying to make a few dollars by shoveling your walkway.

12. Snowy nights provide the perfect excuse to stay inside and snuggle up with a loved one while sipping a nice hot drink - very romantic!

13. As I sit writing about snow I'm reminded exactly how long I'll be staring at it. We got our first snowfall at the end of November and it will probably be here until the end of March. By that time I'll be tired of it and it will not be as pretty as it is now(all perfectly white) - it will be all brown and mixed with road salt and sand.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

9 comments:

  1. I like snow but not a lot of it. I think if it could snow about 1 inch overnight, keeping the roads clear, and if it melts the next day, that's just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in Connecticut all of my life, and I can't STAND the stuff. I do like it on Christmas Day, but that is all.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love winter, and love the snow! Good thing, as we get our share of it here in Nova Scotia, too. :) Great TT...'tis the season. Have fun with the new snowblower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we're going to get the snow we got last year. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our first big one is coming, but that's okay with me since I have one kid trying nordic skiing this year.

    You are so right about the shoveling and how long it lasts. Thank God for snowblowers. Don't forget, during snow storms, knitting can be a cozy activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect snow would the kind that falls only in people's back yards but not in driveways or the street. I'm not sure how to arrange that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still jealous... high's in the 70's today... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your one about yellow snow. The other lesson people learn quick in Canada, is to not put a tongue on metal outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is fabulous! I just adore the snow too! I also live in Canada, Manitoba actually. We get lots of snow here, and it's always very cold. Which province are you in?

    Please feel free to stop by my blog! I think I am permanently hooked to yours now! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete