Friday, December 07, 2007

I say Merry Christmas!

I'm getting plain tired of this 'Happy Holiday' BS - let's call the 'holiday' what it is for pete's Christmas it just becomes nothing. You could then choose any day and exchange gifts, eat turkey etc.

I was watching a t.v. movie last night and I noticed the station ran a little "Happy Hanukkah" splash between commercials. That's great, and if it's ok to say Happy Hanukkah, then why is it not ok to say Merry Christmas.

Why do I offend when I refer it by its name rather than this politically correct terminology? Are you really bothered of I say Merry Christmas and you don't celebrate it...likewise should I be offended that the t.v. station chose to splash a 'happy hanukkah' message while I was watching a t.v. program...after all I don't celebrate hanukkah.

I absolutely refuse to purchase a Christmas card that says 'Happy Holidays' instead of Merry Christmas - let's not forget what it is we are celebrating and why we celebrate. If you are not Christian and don't believe that Christ was born then why are you celebrating Christmas? You may as well create your own holiday like they did on one Seinfeld episode in which they celebrated the Festivus holiday.

If it's true what they say about Christmas shopping being the main revenue source for retailers then by gosh and by golly they should call the holiday what it is. Instead of trying not to offend non-Christians alike they are in effect offending all the Christians who celebrate CHRISTmas!

8 comments:

  1. Amen! Everyone's SO concerned with not offending each other that we lose sight and meaning of what the holiday is. But I think Bah Humbug's strong... you obviously still have Christmas in your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANyway' at least as far as things no up north here, if you want to get together and have a nice time visiting family and eating lots and sharing gifts, wouldn't it make more sense to do it in the summer? More sun, fresh air, and BBQing, and less fingers freezing off when you're stranded at the side of the road with a car full of gifts and screaming kids to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Bah Humbug was too strong....I couldn't think right this morning I've had a hell of a week with copier probs...I say Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Bah Humbug was too strong....I couldn't think right this morning I've had a hell of a week with copier probs...I say Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were probably saying "Happy Hanukkah" because it is Hanukkah right now. On Christmas day television stations do say "Merry Christmas."

    I know I'm in the minority of neither being Christian nor Jewish and I don't get offended when someone wishes me "Merry Christmas," I just get offended when people go on a tirade in thinking that's the only possible thing to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When a person takes the time to produce an on line journal it is their prerogative to have a tirade once in a while. Although I don't think the post was saying Christmas is the only thing to celebrate - the point I believe was that Christmas is a religious Christian holy day and that it is discouraging to Christians when non-Christians secularize it and turn it into nothing but a shopping blowout extravaganza. It is better if we all hold onto our sacred holy days because each one of them is special and important to the people who celebrate them. We should make a point of learning about the major holy religious days and acknowledge them when they roll around each year. Happy Holidays is a polically correct easy way out. Its like someone coming up to you at the beginning of the year and saying Special Day Greetings so that they don't have to bother acknowledging your birthday, anniversary etc. Teamouse - I think your point was well made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks PinkRoseCottage - those were my thoughts exactly when I read the comment, I just didn't know how to put into words my thoughts.

    Again I am happy to say Happy Hannukah even though I don't celebrate it etc. but during the Christmas season it has become so rare to hear shops and t.v. stations saying Merry Christmas, instead to avoid offending some with it they've opted for the more 'politically' correct language of Happy Holidays.

    As a Christian it's my obligation to witness to my beliefs and this is a perfect situation to witness to.

    Merry Christmas Everyone!

    TeaMouse :)

    ReplyDelete