1. If the toilet seat breaks or the handle falls off, there is no landlord to call. But on the other hand it's easy to get it fixed if you show your home handyman a little leg or give him a little 'wink'!
2. You can paint the walls any colour you like - however I wouldn't suggest painting a room all red. I still have nightmares from that experience. After we took out a loan to buy the last can of paint I passed out from the shock of it all. It looks great, good thing too because I am not about to be trying to cover it up anytime soon!
4. Making as much noise as allowed by the city bylaw!!! This must be a lot considering what we hear coming from outside. I didn't know youngin's still enjoyed blasting boom boxes on the front lawn as they hollered and caroused. Dogs bark at everything, yes everything! Our neighbors Rottweiler barks at leaves blowing by, cars 2 blocks away and cats 4 doors down. Damn that dog is good.
5. It's easy to spend money on the house. I can't tell you how many times the house has demanding some new accessory. It even calls to me as I go to Wal-Mart for a jug of milk. Maybe the house really does have a mind of its own.
6. Good Fences really do make good neighbors! I wish I could fence my entire yard to keep from having to look at my neighbors unpaved mud pile that she hasn't been able to replace since she had work done on her foundation. Privacy in the backyard is the best - I love being able to sip tea in my pj's under my gazebo.
7. We've become more power conscious since owning a home. We've been replacing the light bulbs with fluorescents. It's amazing how many light bulbs we have to buy - it seems like there are light fixtures everywhere! Also, flood lights burn out quickly. The dimmer function is nice but long lasting would be preferable.
8. We actually bought a carpet shampooer. We want to keep our carpets in good condition and clean. Nothing gets me madder than a stain on the carpet. When we first moved in I was so paranoid someone would spill something or damage something. They did too, it was me! I put a little hole in a wall carrying a chair upstairs. It's probably a good thing it was me as anyone else wouldn't be here to tell the tale now.
9. I feel more safe in our home than I ever did in our rented townhouse. Not weird true, but I was convinced that I'd feel so vulnerable without the close proximity(that's for you Shelly) of the neighbors. It's great to no longer have to hear the banging of the headboard coming from next door, mmmmm hmmmm!
10. No one comes by to randomly inspect the furnace and just look and then leave again, even though the furnace is filthy....thanks for confirming it guys! The smoke alarms still work, yes sir! Can you do something about the water that is slowly leaking into the basement? No ma'am!
11. People don't wander into my yard and take bikes, wagons or bbqs. They may pop in occasionally if they accidentally throw a ball in our yard, but otherwise it's our private domain.
12. We get to pay taxes to the city! I don't actually mind though, well not too much. Every time I take a book out of the library or take advantage of another city service I know that I have contributed to the maintenance of it and I'm proud to be a contributor to such great services.
13. The best part of owning our home is that we can now have a dog - he's great. Also no one can ever come in again and tell us any of our pets have to leave. Unless of course DH finally gets those chickens he's always wanted or our DD gets a pony finally. Otherwise it's all fine and dandy!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants