Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Drinking water, are you safe?


I've been using two of these plastic bottles for the last two years - it was I thought the perfect solution to getting my water in while at work. I always had it with me and I could drink anywhere from one to two litres a day, that's 32 - 64 ounces.

Now it turns out they may not be safe. A chemical called bisphenol A is released into the liquids that are in the bottles once the bottles are heated to the boiling point. This is also affecting baby bottles made with polycarbonate plastic. The heating of the bottles to warm them for the baby or in my case sterilizing mine in my dishwasher can cause this chemical to leach into the water.

Here are a few links for you to read, Health Canada will be posting a list of brand names later this week, for now I'm not using my bottles until I hear if they are affected by this. Until then any bottles with a #7 on the bottom are possibly affected and should be used with caution. The last link I provided has a list of 'safe' alternatives to the current polypropalene bottles that have the bisphenol A.

CTV
Toronto Sun
USA Today
Labour Environmental Alliance Society - great article

3 comments:

  1. So if you don't wash the bottles in really hot water are they safe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never used plastic water bottles and I especially never heat anything in them, but I sure do know a lot of people who do. I hope they keep catching things like this. Maybe the cancer rate will finally start going down instead of up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hearing a lot about this. There is always something.

    ReplyDelete