Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why I Love Ravelry

A few months back I started hearing of this Ravelry and people were posting on their blogs about being invited. I thought it was a website for knitting designers and I could see why the invites were special, but I didn't pay any more attention to it than that. Then my sister told me she was invited and I was surprised and I asked her how. That's when I learned that you get invited after requesting to join at their website. She raved about it and I just had to join as well. I had to see what all the fuss was about.

I am so glad I did! It is a online system where you keep track of all your projects both past and present as well as your stash. You gain friends and find out what they're knitting, see how projects look done by different people with different yarns(this is especially helpful if you want to use a different wool than the pattern calls for, you also get to see the pattern done in different sizes - and some have been modified and it's nice to see how people change the pattern to suit their preferences. I always have liked keeping photos of my projects, this is especially nice when the items are gifted and this allows me to always have pictures of everything I make. It's also a great way to keep track of how long a project took - if you had to frog it, put it away for awhile and so much more.

People are also there to help with your questions - when making my last project Mr. Greenjeans I had questions about a different way to do the sleeves and by talking to another knitter I found a much easier way to do the sleeves - there is always someone who is quite willing to share their knowledge with you if you need it.

If you are on Ravelry and you want to see my projects or add me as a friend my online name is surprise surprise - TeaMouse - if you haven't joined up yet but want to go to Ravelry and enter to be signed up, there is a waiting list and it usually takes up to a week to get your invite - but you'll be so glad you did, I know I am!

4 comments:

  1. i agree completely I am so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I've never heard of it before but it sounds like a great little internet community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just found your blog in a knitting search. I am also in Ravelry (what a cool site!), so I'll go add you. I'm peanutwoman!
    Hope to see you there soon!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy T. sent me this link and I have just been put on the waiting list.

    I'm very interested in what goes on in Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete