Friday, June 20, 2008

Wake Up Call

I have been a 'bad bad' blogger. I don't know what has kept me from blogging or visiting blogs. I guess I got caught up in life. There were a few family issues that had me beyond stressed in the last few weeks and I guess I just have been in a funk.

Yesterday my funk came to a head. I was feeling wacky Wednesday evening. I had what felt like a dizzy, foggy feeling in my head and I couldn't shake it. It was here again yesterday and I was getting concerned so I stopped at the pharmacy to take my blood pressure and it was 141/85, and I had suspected as much - I just felt off! I stopped on the way home to check it again and it was better art 116/75. I really scared myself. I've never had blood pressure problems, but I do need to lose weight and stop eating crap so I think this may be a wake up call.

Instead of spending the evening on the back deck with my tea and knitting I took Oliver and we went for a 50 minute walk, I am glad that I didn't just get depressed and go for the unhealthy foods. Life is going to have to change drastically. I am also extremely worried about my DH as on his mom's side of the family the men have heart attacks in their early 40's and we are both 38.

I'm hoping what happened was a good warning sign to get me and DH to change our ways and get healthy once and for all.

For now we are going to get a lot of outdoor activity, during the summer I am able to ride my bike to work and in the Fall I think we will purchase a Wii and get the fit board and exercise along with it. I don't want to say how much I need to lose, but suffice it to say that it's going to take a good year to accomplish it so I have to stay focused and settle in for changes that will have to last my lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back. It is easy to get in a funk the older you get, but it sounds like you have plan to get outside.

    My husband and I both did well when I was doing weight watchers 1.5 years ago, both of us have stopped walking and it shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear things were rough for you. I need to lose weight also, and every year I seem determined to do so, and I just maintain the weight I have been for years since having kids. I should get out on my bike too; I do every summer, but this year I have not been out once. I need a kick in the pants and I shouldn't have to wait for a medical condition to give it to me, but it seems that might be what it takes. I hope you are doing better after the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just cruising the blogworld. There are alot of bad bloggers this time of year. I hate funks. I have never figured out how to get out of them fast. You sound like you have a good handle on it.

    ReplyDelete