Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Taste of the Fair


Yes, it's that time of the year again - 'donut making season'. I really only make these once a year and I generally wait until I am on my summer holidays as during the year I just don't have time to spend making the dough and standing there frying batch after batch - so they are a special treat that is much adored by the whole family. They are as good or even better than the 'mini-donut' you can get at the Fair!

My donuts look even nicer this year as a girl from work had a donut cutter that her mom had given her and it was amongst all her children's play-dough toys. When she found out I made donuts and was looking all over for a cutter she offered me hers and I have to say it made them look that much more professional.

This year I was much more practical and I have put away 2 freezer bags full to have for lunch snacks.

I also set aside a couple to take up to my Granny who is in a nursing home. She loves getting little treats like this.

My goal this fall/winter is to make more of the snacks homemade. I will sit down and plan what I want to have and make one item a week so that there is always a homemade option that the kids can grab to pack with their lunches. I myself am getting tired of the prepackaged cereal bars etc.

For those of you interested in trying this recipe view my previous post that has the link to the recipe I used. I doubled the batch and we got 5 dozen donuts.

4 comments:

  1. Three posts with three of my favorite things. Donuts, pickles and spagetti. Now not all at the same time mind you. The spagetti sounds great. I do make my own simmered spagetti sauce but need something in a pinch sometime, just dump out a jar. I think the cr of mushroom must really add to the flavor. Your donuts look wonderful. I've always wanted to make homemade but haven't ever tried. I had a store bought one at Thimbleberries Club this morning. It was good but yours look better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your donuts look so delectible! I made donuts as a child, but that was more years ago than I care to mention.

    I always have a home made treat - I think they are tastier and better for you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your donuts look so good! I might have to print out that recipe and give it a whirl. I like the once a year thing...makes it extra special I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donuts are my absolute favorite food - so much so that if it wasn't for watching my weight I'd eat them every day. Once a year is a great idea for these home-made ones.

    ReplyDelete