Saturday, September 06, 2008

Pumpkin Spice Muffins


I got this recipe from the October 2008 Canadian Living and I just had to make them. I am very fond of pumpkin muffins and these are very delicious. It calls for a Maple Cream Cheese Spread to spread on the tops, but instead I used my piping bag and squeezed a little bit of the spread right inside the muffins.

They store at room temperature for 2 days or they can be frozen for up to two weeks.

What I have been doing is packaging them up into single ziploc bags for my DD and her snack is ready to go - kept nice and fresh in the freezer.

1 3/4 c. Flour
3/4 c. Packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
2 eggs
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger, cloves and nutmeg; mix in 1/4 cup of the walntus.
In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, oil and vanilla; pour over dry ingredients and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Spoon into prepared pans. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Bake at 375F(190C) until tops are firm to teh touch, about 20 - 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool.

Maple Cream Cheese Spread:
half package 80z cream cheese
1 Tbsp. icing sugar
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Beat cream cheese until smooth, beat in icing sugar, maple syrup and vanilla until well blended. Serve muffins with spread or use a piping bag inserted about one inch into each muffin and squeeze spread in until the top of muffin starts to crack slightly...enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmmm...these sound wonderful. I think I'll be making a batch tonight after supper.

    Thanks for posting ... I love pumpkin muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. I might have to try them. Unfortunately I didn't get any pumpkins this year so will have to buy or mooch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these muffins with supper tonight. They were AWESOME!!!

    I made the spread too. I couldn't find regular cream cheese. The store was sold out, can you believe it? Anyway ... I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and it was still very yummy.

    Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to write about them on my blog, do you mind if I link to your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well look at that. I just picked up this issue of Canadian Living and had that page already marked to try. Now I REALLY want to try them! Oh and those tarts in the magazine. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete