Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A True Ukranian Perogy

I managed to get my hands on one of these perogy makers. A girl at work brought me one from her mom's stash. I have never used a perogy maker before so this will be a first. I like the idea of it and it does come with a recipe for dough and I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I think I'm going to spend Saturday morning making up the dough and rolling them in the afternoon. The recipe calls for chilling the dough for a couple of hours. Now I will need a new rolling pin as I think a good heavy rolling pin would help with this type of dough. Now for the filling, I am debating between a simple potato and onion or potato and cottage cheese or cheddar cheese. The only filling I haven't made before is the potato and cottage cheese.

I've volunteered to make perogies for Thanksgiving dinner so I thought rather than buy them from our local Ukranian Co-Op that I'd try to make them from scratch again. My problems with making them in the past have been that the amount of filling I can get in makes them a rather flat perogie and I like them to be a little on the plump side. I'll see how this gadget works.

While looking for an image to use I found a website that sells the maker if you are so inclined to give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. That looks interesting. How big is it, and how does it work. I have one of the ones that you roll dough on top, then pipe in the filling, the put another flat piece of dough on. It makes about 18 at at time and they are quite small. I can't remember the brand. My sister uses a jar lid or cup to make rounds for her perogies. She usually makes them for our family dinners, and I make the cabbage rolls and my daughter make the nalysnyki. My sister has the Ukrainian Daughters Cookbook that was from the link. I wouldn't mind getting it, now I know where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I help my mil make perogies once in awhile and she uses a can to cut her dough. Makes the nice small perogies we all love so much. She will make the perogies for Christmas and her daughter brings the nice tiny cabbage rolls everyone loves. Mmmmm!! I have one of the cookbooks on the sites...Ukrainian Daughters Cookbook...but have never looked at it. Can't even remember where I got it from, most likely my mil I'm guessing. We try and avoid that kind of food as much as possible, but oh is it good to have once in awhile. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete