Sunday, October 05, 2008

Kettle Cooked Rice Pudding


We are having our first rainy day in weeks and it's a nice break from the unusual hot weather we've been having. I can't remember a time where I've needed to keep the window open all night in October and to complain of how hot it is - we haven`t even needed to turn on our heat yet.

Today I am going to sit and knit and watch some movies and relax. I am craving rice pudding and this is the best recipe I`ve ever found. I am sure you will love it if you give it a try - this is the epitomy of `comfort food`.

1/2 cup long grain rice
4 c. Homogenized Milk(no skimping here)
6 tsp. white sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c. raisins

In a heavy saucepan add milk, rice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Partially cover, leaving space for steam to escape....cook for one hour.
Uncover. Increase heat to med-low and continue cooking, until pudding thickens, about 20 minutes. Stir in raisins and vanilla. Chill in the fridge - or serve warm.

This reminds me of the Cozy Shack rice pudding - but it's even better because it's homemade.
NOTE: This is a picture I snagged from the internet, mine isn't made yet - I might take a photo of ours when it's done if it doesn't get eaten up too quickly!

2 comments:

  1. I may have to try this. I don't recall ever eating rice pudding, except for what I might have eaten in elementary school. lol
    Don't recall liking it then, but things change.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love rice pudding - will definitely give this one a try - but I'm going to have to "lighten" it up with skim milk.

    ReplyDelete