Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!!!


So this is 2009! I'm thrilled to move on to this year - it's the biggun for me and the DH as we both turn 40 near the end of it! Normally we don't make resolutions but I've promised myself that I will make some life changes prior to turning 40 and it looks like this is the year so get there or bust, I must try.

I've selected a particular goal in mind for weight loss - it seems doable if I stay focused and I'm sure this time next year, I'll feel a heck of a lot better. So the elliptical will be dusted off and coats will find a new home in the clothes closet and the new Ipod Nano that I got for Christmas will be used as I travel miles daily or every other day in an attempt to reach said goal.

Snacking is coming to a halt - we've got into some bad habits and we enable each other to stay in the danger zone. It's time to encourage each other to be making healthier choices. This is going to take the most work as it's fun to have an eating buddy.

I keep a private blog of my journey and I am going to have to really make an attempt to keep it up to date and if anyone is trying this journey and you want to read mine let me know. It helps to have that support and I do have a couple of people who have read this before. It's the one place where I am totally open and honest about this journey. I hope that it will be encouraging for me, enough so that I can actually reach the goal. I don't have any plans to join any weight loss groups so it will be a tough go without support. Check my profile for contact info.

Aside from that I want to push further in my knitting. I will be knitting more on a budget as getting finances in order seems to be another resolution. Tracking spending using Microsoft Money and really thinking about what we absolutely need as opposed to what we want. So I'm glad that I got some One Skein knitting pattern books for my birthday, it will give me plenty of projects I can do on a budget as well as a way to work on different knitting skills.

This past year I became quite fearless in my knitting. I made my first sweater for me. I learned how to do sleeves and other narrow objects with the Magic Loop method, knit a sweater completely in the round and learned short rows and short row wrapping(although I'm not as good at this as I'd like) and did a Kitchener(grafting) on underarms. I did lace in the round and made myself 3 sweaters. I never thought I'd make a sweater. So 2008 was a pretty good knitting year and hopefully it continues. I'd like to do more dpn knitting and maybe even do some fair isle - we'll see how it goes.

So those are my major goals - I constantly continue to push myself to be more social. This is an ongoing thing and recently it helped mend some family issues(I believe) so that is a good sign. As much as I want to cocoon myself up and hibernate when the work day/week is over - other people need/want to see us - so working on that will be challenging, but hopefully very rewarding also.

So however your New Year is shaping up - I hope it's wonderful and everything you hope it to be!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and New You!

    Steve and I are recommitting to the gym. We were there bright and early this morning...okay...so not so early, but we were there.

    Did an hour of cardio. I felt good about that. When we started at the gym 18 months ago I could barely do 10 minutes on the treadmill and only 3 or 4 on the Precor EFX. So, hopefully you and I can encourage each other along the way.

    There will be less of us in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good list for 2009. I really enjoyed the knitting projects you showed in 2008. And here's to a successful weight loss in the New Year! That one I happen to know is a very hard one so here's lots of luck to you and all of us who are tackling that challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. You have a great set of goals set out. Every year I think I will loose weight and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. This year I gained so I guess it is time to set some solid goals in that department.
    I wish you great success with all your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year.

    Weight loss, mmmm, seems to be a common goal for many. I am back to WW this week, it has worked before and will again.

    Too bad we couldn't knit and walk at the same time! Magic loop? You are so ready for some sock knitting.

    ReplyDelete