Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making Granny Proud...



Of course my Granny is the one who started me knitting, she sat down and showed me how to cast on and make those first stitches. She was an avid knitter in her early years and had many great accomplishments to talk about. I heard of her pant suit all hand knit, can you imagine knitting an entire pantsuit? Well she was obviously a very talented knitter.

I remember a few years ago I was talking to her about knitting and mentioned socks and how difficult I thought it would be. She scoffed gently in her grandmotherly way and told me that of all the things she ever knit, socks were in fact her favorite. I was surprised, even though I know for years my Grandpa only wore her hand knit socks, I assumed this was a labor of love, a chore she did just for him. How could anyone possibly enjoy working on double pointed needles. I had tried it and it felt so awkward in my hands, almost like the first time I held the needles as she coaxed me to doing my first knit stitches.

For years I put the sock knitting out of my mind and definitely the thought of using dpn's! Recently I had a strong desire to become more comfortable with them and did some work on beret's that required them during the last few rows. They weren't as bad as I had thought.

A few days after my Granny had her stroke I had received a message on my phone from a LYS that was offering a 'sock making' class. I initially didn't call as I wasn't sure what would happen with her being sick. I knew a funeral was coming and the timing just seemed all wrong. Afterward I had a chance to reconsider the funeral was scheduled for the following week and I could attend the class and felt a strong desire to do so, even though it would take me well out of my comfort zone, both with knitting and socially. I was in luck, so to speak - I called to tell them I could come but there was no answer. I left a message and never heard back. Then on Thursday the night of the first class I got a call from the instructor at 6pm saying that she had just got my message and if I wanted to join I could still come down and bring whatever dpn's and yarn I had on hand - or I could meet up with them the next week and she'd get me caught up.

I opted to wait until the next week. It just so happened that it was darn cold around -50 with windchill and the streets were extremely icy. I did though pop in to the store on Friday and pay for the class and buy the supplies. The owner of the store suggested I get started on my own. After a quick call to the instructor on Saturday to determine how many stitches to cast on, I was on my way.

I picked it up on Saturday and had no trouble getting going and in fact am finding it extremely relaxing - it's so easy to stop while doing it and chat or catch up with what is happening on t.v. as each needle only holds so many stitches.

I know my Granny would be very proud to know that I was knitting socks and I am so happy to have both her talent and the love of knitting that she seemed to have passed down to me.

So the socks are in the beginning stage. The instructor has us making a pair of socks using thicker yarn so that we get to the next steps quickly enough to learn to do the more complicated steps of sock making. I hope that it all comes as easy as learning to use the dpn's.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I know a lot of people freak about dp needles, but they are easy to get used to. The only time I have cursed was when I had to cast on 8 stitches with sport yarn, but socks are easy. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to her. I must admit that I find magic loop much easier than dpns - I can't seem to avoid stabbing myself with them.

    ReplyDelete