Sunday, March 15, 2009

Turning Ordinary into Extraordinary

I normally go through the motions of life and I don't really take the time to make small things special, well aside from family gatherings.

I'm alone this weekend, my DH is off at his spiritual director training. When I'm alone I tend to do weird things like not want to eat or do much. I'm weird when I'm alone. I never had that 'me' time in my life. I went from living with my mom to my DH so I like to have company.

This morning I woke up after very few hours of sleep due to the comings and goings and activities of our kids. Both were wandering around until well after 2am. Needless to say I thought I'd wake up very grumpy when at 6:49a.m. Mr. Oliver decided it was a good time to wake up! I love that dog to death, but I was doggone tired.

Instead we went out for the usual morning routine and I was blown away by how nice it is outside. After the wicked winter we've had it's quite a joy to step outside and feel the warm spring air and see the frozen over puddles from yesterday's thaw.

Then I had an idea I could make my morning special even if it was just Oliver and I. I set about making tea in my beautiful new pottery teapot that I got at a silent auction a few weekends back(thanks DH) - I had started bidding but I had only taken my little clutch with a few necesseties, no credit card.

So I had the tea brewing in my beautiful teapot and I climbed up into the 'china cupboard' and took down a cereal bowl and a teacup and saucer, the china was given to me by my late Granny when she moved out of her house years ago. What better way to start the day than enjoying breakfast on china. As I was alone I grabbed my copy of Emma by Jane Austen and devoured the words as much as the cereal and tea.

Why is it that tea tastes better in a china cup? I've got oodles of china teacups. I went through a stage of collecting china cups and I received many beautiful cups as gifts and they sit up in a cupboard barely looked at. Instead I tend to gravitate to the ordinary.

What I learned today is that it's worth it to take time to enjoy the special things like china and sitting down at the table and eating rather than wolfing down something watching t.v. Something that seemed so small at first was such a beautiful way to start the day and it was just enough to lift my sleepy self's spirits!

Oh you know you want to see my teapot, so here it is!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a restful morning. It sounds wonderful.

    DH and I did a lot of little chores around the house (switching roles). He chopped up a week's work of veggies and fruit while I weeded the flower beds and scrubbed the pool.

    Later we're going to treat ourselves to a frozen drink at the local coffee shop. It's over 85 degrees today. Something frozen will really hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so much of what you said here resonates with me! When my DH is away, which is a lot at the moment, I am a real mix between not looking after myself properly and doing indulgent things that make the time without him feel like a treat! I love your teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your teapot, its wonderful, who makes it?

    When Tom is gone I truly enjoy my time alone, doing little pampering things for myself, like brewing tea and keeping the TV Off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've learned something important - every day is a special day! Its great to celebrate "today" with the little touches that make your heart sing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete