Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sleep Learning

I've been thinking a lot about sock knitting. My sister has jumped into it and has been very surprised by how well she's doing. I have always thought that I wanted to knit socks but I always think they are out of my league. I consider myself a good knitter but a sock knitter, no way!

I printed off a couple of free patterns from Ravelry including Blackrose. I was going to try to do it with dpn's as I was convinced I couldn't do any other method. Then the process stopped. Why, because it was written for magic loop. I had only done magic loop once awhile back and I wasn't sure that I could do a sock like that, I just couldn't picture it. I had done sleeves with that method and it worked quite well. I had a copy of Hedera printed out, which was her second pair but she assured me I should start with the Blackrose. Her gentle prod, "You've done magic loop before" - sat with me that day.

That night I had a very clear dream. I was dreaming of doing the magic loop technique on a sock. I saw myself casting on, dividing the stitches in half -working the cuff and then the heel. It was so clear to me, I knew exactly how it would work. It seems very doable now! I didn't get past that as I am familiar with the kitchener stitch already. What a gift to have this come to me in the form of a dream. I love when I get a dream like this.

So today I went to Knit Picks and I ordered the two sizes of circular needles that should work for the socks in the Harmony style as I like to have a bit more control with fingering weight yarn. And, to keep my inspiration up I ordered a skein of Stroll Tonal in Gypsy. The new line of sock yarns look so scrumptious! I've always wanted red socks. I'm beginning to think red is my favorite colour!

2 comments:

  1. can;t wait to see, maybe it will inspire me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all you need is a good nap to figure it all out.

    It worked for me when I was first learning to knit with dpns. The instructions said to cast on to three needles. Then I tried knitting that way. It got tighter and tighter. I went in for a nap and it hit me --- the fourth needle wasn't a spare ... it was the WORKING needle. DUH!!!!

    ReplyDelete