Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Process or Project Knitter?

I've seen this question posed on a few different blogs lately and it got me to thinking. I guess I'd like to be a 'process' knitter. To just enjoy every moment but I'm such a 'get-it-done' kind of person that I am more of a 'project' knitter. I guess that's why I enjoy doing small projects such as dishcloths and why I'm going to give socks a try. I like the process part, don't get me wrong but if I have a project on the go I'm going gang-busters to get it finished. What happens to me if I leave it too long is it loses it's appeal.

For that reason I've yet to complete an afghan that I started last winter(to be finished last May) - the project is knit all in one piece and it seems like it's taking forever to finish. I need to just smack myself and enjoy the process of it. It's going to be finished though, I'm NOT frogging a blanket that is almost half-way done. So now I take it out on occasion and work a few rows and try to just enjoy the process of knitting it as I know I can't finish it quickly. I get bored on a large project like that.

Knowing this I have to question my decision making sanity. I ordered enough knit picks comfy worsted to make another afghan. I started this and stopped it many times. I couldn't find a pattern that really called to me. Convinced I would never turn that yarn into a blanket I made myself a shawl. In the meantime I had ordered yet even more of the yarn in different shades. So I still have a considerable amount of this yarn. The plan now is to continue making these cabled squares and sewing it into a small blanket/throw. I'm hoping by making little squares that I can finish quickly will help me stay on task. I love the yarn, it's so soft and cozy. I wear my shawl a LOT so, I must persevere and get the project done one way or another. I'm already really enjoying knitting this new throw and the pattern really suits the yarn quite well.

2 comments:

  1. Those squares look great - I like the pattern. Process over product with me too - but like you I have to like the idea of the product to start with. I've learned through experience that I often don't use or wear the projects in the end - which is why the process is so very important. Also - I quite like lace knitting (maybe not in lace weight) but the way I dress is not "lacey" so again its really about the enjoyment of the knitting and hopefully I know enough people who I can give lacey knitted gifts to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on this one also. We should meet 1/2 way for a week with just our afghan pieces and have a knit in.
    The afghan kal is working for me so far, but then I have one mitten to finish, a granny afghan to put together and newly started rectangular granny afghan that I can just keep adding rows. Let's not even talk about the containers of yarn in my basement.

    ReplyDelete