Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Prayer Shawl Knitting

This is my fourth prayer shawl for our new ministry at our parish. We felt there was a need to begin this ministry due to the fact that we serve a large amount of seniors in assisted living facilities. This shawl was done in Phentex Worsted(oh so soft for acrylic) in Neopolitan. I lucked out and got it on sale at Zeller's for $4.00 for 10.5 oz, enough to make a shawl that is 49" long. I used the pattern from Prayer Shawl Ministry website. The only thing I did different was an extra stitch at the beginning and end. I CO 59 sts. This gave it a bit of a border. I have another skein of the same yarn but in Chocolate Covered Cherry, for this one I'm doing a double Moss stitch pattern and I CO 58, this gives a three stitch border of garter on each side.

After hearing how moved the recipients were at receiving the shawls I'm even more committed to knitting these on an ongoing basis. I have a bit of Christmas knitting and some for myself but they generally require daylight and more concentration so the prayer shawls are perfect for evening knitting. I make sure to say a prayer before I begin and off and on during, pausing to think of the recipient and as I do so I knit loving prayers into the shawl.

We had a blessing service for the shawls at Mass last weekend and all the shawls were immediately taken by those who knew someone who could use one, we were really shocked by how great the interest/need was for the shawls - I'm sure this ministry will be going strong for some time.

1 comment:

  1. What a great project! Your Neopolitan shawl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete