Monday, November 29, 2010

Tiger Bars

This recipe was on the back of the Hershey Butterscotch Chipits package. I have never tried it before but I needed a quick no back treat and I'm sure glad I tried it.

CHIPITS TIGER BARS

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) golden corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup (175 mL) CHIPITS® Butterscotch Chips, divided
  • 2 cups (500 mL) rice crisps cereal I only had on hand the Holiday Rice Krispies - works great and has festive colours for Christmas baking.
  • 1 cup (250 mL) CHIPITS® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL) oil
Directions:
1. In large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; bring to boil over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.

2. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the butterscotch chips; stir until melted. Stir in cereal until well coated. Press into greased 8-inch (20 cm) square pan.

4. In medium bowl over hot water (or in microwave), melt semi-sweet chocolate chips. Spread evenly over surface of bars. I didn't have enough chocolate chips so I modified this and I think it is even better. I took 9 Tbsp. of cocoa with 3 Tbsp. margarine, sugar to taste(I added as I went maybe 3 Tbsp.  and melted that in the microwave. I had about a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips so I added that and melted it with the cocoa and margarine, add a few tsp of vegetable oil to make it a nice consistency and the cocoa gives a nice break in the really sweet flavor of the butterscotch.

5. In small bowl over hot water (or in microwave), melt remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) butterscotch chips and oil. Drizzle in lines over surface of bars. Chill. Cut into bars. This works great with a fork and I just shook the fork across and it made nice design.

You may need to make a lot of these, I guarantee they will be a family favorite!

1 comment: