Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Victorian Christmas Stocking

The Story of my Victorian Christmas Stocking 

 The story started out on Sunday afternoon, I had just finished knitting a Christmas gift bag and I saw a Christmas stocking on the label. I checked out the label pattern and it was for crochet, but I wanted to knit. Although I have tried to knit a sock, I have never finished one. Off to Ravelry I went in search of a pattern.



That led me to the Ruffled Lace Christmas Stocking, it was the perfect fit. I looked at the pattern and got a little intimidated, but I just said 'go for it'. For the first time I just knit and didn't worry about the next step. The cuff and body of the stocking knit up very quickly, it was a breeze. When I got to the stuff that intimidated me(turning the heel etc.) I was patient, I started to second guess myself but I was firm - just follow the directions. What I learned was it all makes sense when you are at the right stage.
 It's hard to imagine what they are talking about in the pattern if you aren't at that stage. I had done the Kitchener Stitch before so that wasn't intimidating me, but the heel and such were.

This was a great lesson in not trying to jump to far ahead for me. I learned a lot and I have a beautiful new Christmas stocking, which I truly love!

I don't know if I'm quite ready to go for socks yet, but I'm getting closer.

I had some Country Red and Ivory on hand. The country red was Lily Sugar and Cream, gifted to me from a friend in Utah. I had nothing that matched for the trim so I went in search. I finally found an Indigo blue in Bernat Handicrafter Cotton and a muted green by Phentex Merit for the ruffle.


 I highly recommend this pattern, it is very well written and it turns out beautifully. I have seen it with and without the ruffle trim and variations in between. I prefer at least the ruffle at the cuff.

4 comments:

  1. Wow I may just have to knit a Victorian stocking...yours is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your stocking! Christmas is not that far away...yikes!!

    ReplyDelete