Friday, March 23, 2012

A Beauty Breakthrough

First Rinse















Second Rinse




For me this is a revolutionary breakthrough. I am 42 and about 50-60% grey. I happen to be one of the growing number who is allergic to one of the toxins in hair dye which is PPD. After doing research on PPD, I'm amazed it isn't a banned chemical. Considering my reaction is more on the tame side, it can cause death by anaphylaxis  shock. Some women experience their eye lids swelling shut and some get black circles around their eyes. Even if your reaction is serious itch, take it seriously as over time the reactions get worse. Initially I had a moderate itch and it got more and more serious. At the end I would get dry scaly patches on my head that itched and then flaked off and the cycle kept repeating to the point that even shampoo causes a reaction.

Aside from that the chemical is HARSH! The way hair dyes work is by first attacking the hair shaft to damage them so that the colour can penetrate inside. That is how permanent hair colour is achieved. This is such a harsh process that it causes hair follicle damage which results in hair loss. This is one of the leading causes of hair loss in women today.

Ok, off my bandwagon. I did discover something I can do to eliminate or reduce the look of my grey and it has been really successful for me. I discovered that if you rinse your hair with black caffeinated tea(the caffeine is to strengthen the hair and scalp and reduces hair loss) - that I can get some colour back in my grey hair naturally.

The first time I did the rinse I used what I had on hand at home I used 4 cups of water, placed in 3 chai tea bags and one herbal tea bag that had a red hue and 2 tsp of dried sage. I let it boil and then turned it off and let it steep for about an hour. After the the tea had cooled I wet my hair at the sink and then I began the process of pouring this over my head 15x in total. I had a bowl in the sink for the tea to go into and then my DH would pour it back into the pot and start again. After the fifteenth rinse I squeezed the excess water from my hair and put it up in a towel for 15 minutes, gave it a gentle rinse and let it dry naturally.

The following day I did not wash my hair, on the second day I washed and conditioned as normal. On the third day I did the process again but a bit differently. I brewed up 2 tsp of  the sage in a separate cup, I used a coffee filter to strain it and then I added this sage infused water to the pot, I added 4 cups of water and 5 black tea begs(Red Rose). I let it boil and let it simmer. Life got in the way and I wasn't able to rinse it that night. I put the mixture in the fridge and left it steep until the following evening. I warmed it up a bit on the stove before I began

I did the same amount of repeats of rinsing, although I put on MadMen and watched an entire episode before doing the final rinse and then I dried it with the blow dryer.

There is no doubt that there is a difference between the two rinses. I only wish I had taken a before picture of what it looked like before I did the first rinse. There was a big difference even with the first rinse, but now on the second one and I'm really liking the results. I find the rinse quite soothing, it is great for the scalp as it's an astringent. This keeps the excess oils off your head and prevents hair loss and dandruff. I have eczema on my scalp from reactions to hair dye and it is beginning to help me clear that up.

If you don't need colour, you can do the rinse but eliminate the extra repeats. Just pour the tea on and wait a few moments and rinse off and wash/dry as normal.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you found a non toxic solution to grey hair. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, very dramatic! Looks fabulous and so natural. I won't use hair dye either, but should do something to get rid of my gray. May just give it a try......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is huge for me, having an allergy to hair dye as really been difficult. I don't want to have a full head of grey hair yet, but eventually I will be ok have it. The nice thing about this is that it should just fade out and there won't be the ugly regrowth line.

      Delete
  3. One more reason you're the tea lady! Good to know info! I did one application the other day and will follow up with a second one and will include the Madmen instruction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use coffee too, it might be darker than tea.

      Delete