Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mason 'to-go' Jar

A few weeks ago a FB friend had a photo of a lovely Ball Jar to-go glass, I fell in love. I searched, scoured but could not find anywhere online that sold this baby! I was just thinking I wouldn't find it and I stumbled upon a blog - I'm embarassed to say I can't remember where, but she had her own how-to. Today at Wal-Mart I picked up a dozen Bernadin Single Mouth 1L jars, and 8 of the plastic screw on lids. I brought it home to my DH who promptly went to the garage and drilled an 11/32 hole into the plastic lid, voila! I now have a to-go Mason Jar! For me this is a rare treat, you see I'm one of the rare people who finds the taste of drinking from a plastic cup to be less than pleasurable, to me the plastic definitely affects the taste of the beverage. I had picked up an insulated travel mug with a straw, used it once and vowed to never bother again. Some people think I'm crazy, but I definitely can tell a difference. So I will enjoy the summer drinking my iced tea or lemonade in the backyard or wherever, no bugs can fly in and I will not have to settle on taste in favor of functionality. Try making them yourself, they are drastically cheap in comparison. I got 12 jars for $10 and 8 lids for $2, so for a little over $1for a jar isn't too bad. Keep some of the plastic lids hole free, this way you can travel to your destination without any worry of spilling your cool beverage.

The only thing I couldn't find were reusable straws - or even longer straws would work. Enjoy! And if this is your idea, I'd love to credit it you for it - I'm in love with this and you have totally improved my summer beverages :D

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really is and very economical too.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is such a neat idea, since they don't sell them locally I had to find a way to get one. Too easy!

      Delete
  3. your bound to stay hydrated with that handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the general idea, I don't do well in extreme heat. I really need to make sure I drink lots of water when I'm outdoors.

      Delete