Wednesday, January 08, 2014

More Blanket Knitting

 The first time I saw the Hudson Bay Blanket Dee was knitting one up in King size. I thought the idea was awesome. I don't know if it is the cold weather but I feel like knitting blankets. I have a blanket on the go but it is too big to take as a travelling project and maybe because it's January but I felt like knitting with some bright colours as I look out the window at all this snow and cloudy skies.

That being said, I just wasn't sure if I could do all garter, I've always had a hard time staying with a project of this size for the duration. My other blanket has been in the works for too long and this one I wanted to be ready for next Christmas as my plan is to knit a blanket for my niece and nephew who live out of town. I decided on a simple single Chevron stitch for hers. Instead of the traditional Hudson Bay colours I've opted for stripes in Lilac, rose, berry and turquoise. She'll be 13 in December so I'm hoping she doesn't mind a hand knit blanket for a gift.

I cast on 180 stitches and this gives me two stitches at each end to keep a neat border. This should fit her twin size bed, *crossing fingers* I did the calculations at Purl Bee to make the stripes wider based on the increase in size.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this and if I like it as much as I think then I have a few others in mind that may get a throw for Christmas - the colour schemes are already dancing in my head.

So far I've been able to keep this a secret from my sister and I hope it stays a surprise. For my nephew I was thinking something more masculine, perhaps a basketweave stitch and I will do the traditional colours of red, blue, green and yellow on his.

Maybe I'm crazy, but if I'm going to get more than one blanket done for gifts next year, January has to be the time to start.

These need to be kid friendly so it's all acrylic. The cream is Phentex Worsted and the colours are all in Red Heart Soft, for acrylic it's not too bad it still feels nice and soft and my sister will appreciate that it is machine washable.

2 comments:

  1. Love that color combo!

    Thanks for the "shout-out". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - it was seeing yours that truly had me wanting to make one! I think my niece will love this, her fav colours are purple and pink

      Delete