Monday, July 28, 2014

Mittens in July?

This is the start of a pair of Irish Hiking Mittens. After two successful cabled wine cozies I decided to try mittens next. I'm getting closer to socks :)! So even though it's July it's mittens I'm knitting. I really do love these one skein projects.

I had picked up this yarn on my last trip to visit my sister in B.C., it was supposed to be for a hat but it has sat in my stash waiting to be used. I really wanted to knit these in wool as I really prefer this especially on dpn's the wool seems to really have a lot more give in it and I really don't have any concerns with laddering.

I love the front of this mitten, the cables are perfect for it. I'll be doing this pattern repeat for a bit before I do any increases and the thumb gusset but so far so good. I'm really enjoying this. My only issue is now I seem to need to be buying a different set of dpn's all the time...lol! I now have 4mm for these mittens and 4.5 and 5.5 but I know I'll be needing more in the future. I don't know what it is but to me the bamboo needles really help me a lot, the stitches don't slip easily off of them so for now bamboo is it for me.

1 comment:

  1. We knit mittens in July because we KNOW ---- winter is coming! LOL Your pattern is very pretty. I'm sure you'll be very happy you worked hard all summer, when you have cozy hands this winter.

    ReplyDelete